Bermuda - TIFWAY (Tifway 419)
Tifway is a hybrid bermudagrass cross of Cynodon dactylon x C. transvaalensis germplasma. It is characterized as having a dark green color with medium fine textured leaves. Tifway hybrid bermudagrass is dense with a medium to low growth habit. This variety is a vigorous grower and thus establishes quickly at planting.
- USES: Golf course fairways and tees, athletic fields and landscapes.
- CHARACTERISTICS: Temperature Range of Adaptation - Tifway grows best in warm climates within 45 degrees latitude to the equator. Temperatures in excess of 100 degrees F. (38 degrees C.) are readily tolerated by healthy Tifway. May become dormant after repeated winter frosts but recovers quickly when temperatures warm.
- WATER QUALITY TOLERANCE: On a suitably drained profile Tifway can tolerate soil concentration of 2500 ppm total salts. It is well adapted to "brown" water sources and is commonly used in municipal and food industry effluent land application systems.
- DROUGHT TOLERANCE: Tifway will survive droughts with minimal water availability. One to two inches (25 to 50 mm) of actual available water weekly to the plant will provide an acceptable turf surface. Tifway will survive at 1/2 inch (12 mm) irrigation per week, dependent on soil physics.
- TRAFFIC/WEAR TOLERANCE: Tifway provides the best recuperative rates of all warm season turf grasses. A vigorous regenerator.
- WEED TOLERANCE: Tifway's dense growth, when properly maintained, efficiently competes with the presence of many turf weeds. Tifway easily tolerates broadcast application of selective herbicides.
- INSECT PEST TOLERANCE: With the exception of certain leaf feeding insects, Tifway demonstrates tolerance or quick recovery from damage after pest control treatments.
- SOIL FERTILITY RANGE: Tifway grows best when soil pH is between 5.5 to 7.0. Soil levels of 100 pounds/acre (112 kg/hectare) of phosphorous and 150 to 200 pounds/acre to 224 kg/hectare) potassium will provide sufficient plant growth. Nitrogen applied at 1 pound/1000 sq. ft. per month will provide a healthy plant when combined with the recommended phosphorous and potassium.
- ESTABLISHMENT: Tifway is a sterile (no viable seed) Triploid plant species and is successfully propagated as sprigs (rhizomes, stolons and Stems) or as sod.